28 Aug 2019
Ethiopia: Visa on Demand
This page provides general information about visa requirements for Hong Kong residents travelling to Ethiopia. For residents outside Hong Kong, please contact the nearest embassy or consulate. As the application requirements might change from time to time, please check with the relevant consulate if there are any enquiries or questions.
E-visa is available for visitors travelling to Ethiopia for tourism or other non-business related purposes. Single entry tourist visa is valid up to 90 days.
Applicants need to get the approval letter from the office of the Immigration and Nationality Affairs of Ethiopia in Addis Ababa.
- Applicants must go to the office of Honorary Consulate of Ethiopia in Hong Kong in person (authorisation is not accepted).
- For tourist/transit visa, the visa type is based on the itinerary/air ticket submitted.
- Applicants need to schedule an appointment 3 working days in advance (by email) before going to the consulate office. Please state the applicant’s name, contact number/contact person’s number, number of person, type of visa, passport and available time. The visa will be issued on the same day and it takes 30 minutes for processing.
- Application through travel agencies normally takes 7-14 working days for processing.
- All visas are valid from the date of issuance, not the date of entry into Ethiopia.
Documents Required for Application
1. Passport (original and one copy)
The passport must be valid for 6 months at least.
2. One copy of Hong Kong ID card or Macau ID card
The Hong Kong Ethiopian Consulate Office only processes visa for HKID/Macau ID holders. Applicants without a HKID/Macau ID please contact the nearest embassy/consulate office.
3. A leave letter from the company (original)
The leave letter should be typewritten on the applicant's company letterhead with a company stamp and addressed to the Hong Kong Ethiopian Consulate Office. The letter should state the applicant’s full name (must be the same as the name on the passport), passport number, duration and purpose of the trip. If the applicant is self-employed/a retiree/a housewife/a student and cannot provide a company letter, please provide a personal statement (please refer to Part B).
4. Air-ticket/flight itinerary issued by the airline or travel agent
5. Completed application form (please do not use e-signature)
Please paste one recent passport-sized photo at 4 x 3cm with a blue/white background on the application form.
For application through travel agencies, please also provide a trip letter, state all the applicants' full name (must be the same as the name on passport), passport number, and all the above documents.
Tourist Visa Fee
|Type of Visa||Visa fee|
|Single visa for 30 days||HK$312|
|Single visa for 3 months||HK$468|
|Multiple visa for 3 months||HK$546|
|Multiple visa for 6 months||HK$624|
Transit Visa Fee
A transit visa is not required if the stay is less than 12 hours.
|Staying Time||Visa fee|
|Two times transit for not more than 24 hours||HK$390|
Applicant who is self-employed/a retiree/a housewife/a student and cannot provide a company letter, please use a blank A4-size paper to write a personal statement in English and include the following information.
1. Applicant's name
2. Passport number
3. Purpose(s) of visiting Ethiopia
4. Reason(s) of not able to provide the company letter (students please also attach a copy of student card or any certified documents)
5. Duration period in Ethiopia
6. Signature and date
Please make an appointment beforehand.
Honorary Consulate of Ethiopia in Hong Kong
Room 1204, 12/F, Harbour Crystal Centre, 100 Granville Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2363 0200
Fax: (852) 3579 2722
Hours of Business: Monday to Friday 10 am - 5 pm