22 Nov 2011
Hong Kong to Host Asian Financial Forum in January 2012
International Event to Address Growing Opportunities in Asia
22 November 2011 – Some 2,000 business and government leaders from around the world are expected to take part in the fifth Asian Financial Forum (AFF), to be held during 16-17 January 2012, in Hong Kong.
Under the theme, “Asia: Driving Sustainable Growth”, AFF 2012 will discuss growth opportunities and challenges in the Asia-Pacific region, and the Chinese mainland in particular. The main programme will address such topical issues as global investment prospects, China opportunities, Japan’s reconstruction and green growth initiatives.
AFF 2011, which took place last January, attracted close to 1,800 participants from 32 countries and regions, a new Forum record, including more than 70 high-profile speakers. Half of the participants came from the Chinese mainland and overseas. The event was covered by more than 460 journalists from around the world. To see a short video with the highlights of AFF 2011, please see the link at the end of this release.
At AFF 2012, Hong Kong SAR Government Chief Executive Donald Tsang will officiate at the opening of the Forum. A number of prominent speakers will, or are expected to, take part:
- Michel Barnier, European Commissioner for Internal Markets and Services
- Cho Tak Wong, Chairman, Fuyao Glass Industry Group Co Ltd
- Jong-Ku Choi, Deputy Minister, International Affairs, Ministry of Strategy and Finance, Korea
- Richard Samuel Elman, Founder and Chairman, Noble Group Limited
- Douglas Flint, CBE, Group Chairman, HSBC Holdings plc (invited)
- Hitoshi Goto, Senior Vice Minister, Cabinet Office for Reconstruction in response to the Great East Japan Earthquake and Disaster Management
- Tshepo Kgadima, President and CEO, LontohCoal Limited
- Richard Lavin, Group President, Caterpillar Inc
- KK Modi, Chairman, Modi Enterprises
- Chandran Nair, Founder and CEO, Global Institute for Tomorrow
- Michele Norsa, CEO and Group Managing Director, Salvatore Ferragamo Italia SpA (invited)
- John Rice, Vice Chairman, General Electric Company
- U.K. Sinha, Chairman, Securities and Exchange Board of India
- Joseph Stiglitz, Professor of Economics and Finance, Columbia University
- Rona Yircali, Chairman of the Executive Board, Foreign Economic Relations Board of Turkey
- John Zhao, Founder and CEO, Hony Capital; Senior Vice President, Legend Holdings
AFF 2012 will also see the return of AFF Deal Flow – a half-day deal-making session featuring one-on-one meetings between participating companies and potential collaborators. At AFF 2011, more than 400 meetings involving 120 companies from 16 countries and regions took place in Deal Flow.
Networking receptions are designed to offer ample opportunities for participants to establish new business contacts. AFF 2012 welcomes Nobel Prize Laureate Joseph Stiglitz, who will deliver a keynote address at a luncheon. Hong Kong SAR Government Financial Secretary John Tsang will host a reception, and Japan’s Cabinet Office Senior Vice Minister Hitoshi Goto will present a breakfast briefing.
In addition, a series of concurrent workshops will also take place. The Forum’s popular Networking Lounge will again serve as a resources and hospitality centre and general gathering place for participants and the global media. The AFF offers participants a variety of activities, including visits to Hong Kong financial institutions and cultural tours organised by the Hong Kong Tourism Board. The Hong Kong Venture Capital and Private Equity Association – Asia Private Equity Forum, featuring leading investment professionals from across Asia’s dynamic private equity industry, will be held on 18 January 2012, following the AFF.
The AFF is organised by the Hong Kong SAR Government and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council.
To see brief video highlights of AFF 2011, please click the following url: http://bit.ly/uWyTbI
Forum Website: http://www.asianfinancialforum.com/
Please contact the HKTDC's Corporate Communication Department:
Tel: (852) 2584 4216
About the HKTDC
A statutory body established in 1966, the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) is the international marketing arm for Hong Kong-based traders, manufacturers and service providers. With more than 40 global offices, including 11 on the Chinese mainland, the HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China and throughout Asia. The HKTDC also organises trade fairs and business missions to connect companies with opportunities in Hong Kong and on the mainland, while providing information via trade publications, research reports and online. For more information, please visit: www.hktdc.com