20 Nov 2009
HKTDC 360 Mobile Marketing Campaign Wins Digital Media Award
Asia’s First Trade Fair Mobile Site Included in Media Magazine Honour
20 November 2009 – The Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) 360 Mobile Marketing Campaign which includes Asia’s first trade fair mobile site has earned the Bronze Award in the “Mobile” category at the Digital Media Awards 2009 organised by Media Magazine (Haymarket Media Limited).
Launched earlier this year, the HKTDC Mobile site drew strong support from Hong Kong’s mobile carriers, which waived connection charges for subscribers to the site. The campaign promotes HKTDC’s trade fairs as it increases trade buyer pre-registrations. It also raises public awareness about exhibitions, lowers costs and expands the HKTDC buyer database.
Launched in 2007, the Digital Media Awards honour campaigns for outstanding creativity and effectiveness. Announcing the winners in Beijing on Monday, the organiser said the 2009 contest attracted a record 438 entries. Amid intense international competition, the Bronze Award went to the HKTDC and its technology and media partner Cherrypicks – the only Hong Kong-based mobile advertising agency to make the short list.
Projects were judged on strategy, creativity and innovation, execution and results by a panel of digital experts and agency strategists, including judges from Friendster, Google, GroupM, Hewlett-Packard, MRM, OgilvyOne, OMD, Turner Entertainment Networks Asia and Yahoo.
“It is our great honour to receive the Award,” said HKTDC Assistant Executive Director Raymond Yip. “With years of marketing experience, the HKTDC realises the need of continued innovation in its marketing strategies.” Noting that new media including mobile applications have swiftly become popular in recent years, Mr Yip said the HKTDC must keep abreast of technology and “think out of the box when it comes to marketing.”
“This regional award is a great encouragement for Cherrypicks and all creative and new media companies in Hong Kong. We are grateful for the HKTDC’s teamwork which allowed this unprecedented mobile media strategy to be implemented across all of Hong Kong’s mobile operators,” said Jason Chiu, CEO of Cherrypicks, which has offices across Asia.
The mobile site also includes more than a thousand web-pages with bilingual information about HKTDC trade fairs. Trade buyers can request free admission badges by entering their mobile phone numbers and email addresses on the mobile site or Smartphone applications.
The 360-degree targeting strategy reaches mobile users with the following features:
- Identifing Target Users – Using a location-based service, SMS messages are sent to users in specific areas to increase chances of reaching a particular industry
- Reaching Overseas Traders – SMS messages are sent to inbound international roamers from 30 pre-selected countries during peak exhibition seasons
- Profiling Service – A filtering function screens users by age, business scale, mobile registration under corporate accounts and whether they use a high-end mobile device such as a Blackberry
- Multimedia Messaging Service – The MMS system delivers fashion shows video clips to trade buyers at HKTDC Hong Kong Fashion Week
- Banner Ads – Mobile sites hosted by mobile carriers and appropriate slots on news and finance channels are booked to carry banner ads to attract traders
- Shortcode Service – Print advertisements include shortcodes to allow prospective buyers without access to a computer to register for exhibitions via mobile networks
- Smartphone Applications – Application is available to Smartphone users in Hong Kong and overseas for mobile devices such as the iPhone or BlackBerry
The HKTDC Mobile site recorded more than 500,000 page views and 13,000 trade buyer pre-registrations, with a show-up figure of 4,300. The five mobile carriers supporting the HKTDC 360 Mobile Marketing Campaign include China Mobile Hong Kong Company Limited, CSL Limited (CSL 1O1O, one2Free), Hutchison Telecommunications Hong Kong Holdings Limited (3HK), Peoples, PCCW Mobile and SmarTone-Vodafone.
Please contact the HKTDC's Corporate Communication Department:
Tel: (852) 2584 4216
About the HKTDC
Established in 1966, the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) is the international marketing arm for Hong Kong-based traders, manufacturers and service providers. With more than 40 offices worldwide, including 11 in the Chinese mainland, the HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China and Asia. The HKTDC also organises trade fairs and business missions to connect companies with opportunities in Hong Kong and the mainland, while providing information via trade publications, research reports and online. For more information, www.hktdc.com