9 June 2006
Business mission to Istanbul highlights opportunities in Hong Kong & China
|Pictured at the seminar Hong Kong: Your Best Partner for Business Success, Istanbul, 6 June 2006, (left to right), Mr Roy Chung, President, Hong Kong Young Industrialists Council, Mr Murat Yalcintas, President, Istanbul Chamber of Commerce, Mr Ender Oncu, Head of Department – Asia-Pacific, Undersecretariat for Foreign Trade, Government of the Republic of Turkey, Mr Fred Lam, Executive Director, Hong Kong Trade Development Council|
Turkish companies were encouraged to grasp opportunities in China through partnership with Hong Kong at a major seminar in Istanbul today, 6 June.
Over 350 representatives of the local business community attended an event entitled Hong Kong: Your Best Partner for Business Success that highlighted the dramatic growth of China's Pearl River Delta and explained Hong Kong's unrivalled advantages as a partner for developing business in the mainland's most economically dynamic region.
The seminar was held at the start of a Hong Kong business mission to Istanbul and Moscow organised by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (TDC) and co-organised by Hong Kong Young Industrialists Council.
Led by TDC Executive Director Mr Fred Lam, the mission comprises senior representatives from leading Hong Kong companies active in sectors including electronics and electrical appliances, instrumentation, logistics, healthcare equipment, garment and footwear manufacturing, retailing, and non-ferrous metals trading.
Mr Lam told the seminar that Turkish companies should not think of China simply as a production base but as a market in its own right. Hong Kong, with its rule of law, transparency, corporate governance and high standards of service, offers Turkish companies the gateway to the mainland's vast potential.
This view was echoed by President of the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce Mr Murat Yalcintas who said that Turkish companies should work with their Hong Kong counterparts so that China's economic development becomes an opportunity, not a threat. He also urged more local firms to participate in Hong Kong trade fairs.
During the seminar business matching meetings were held between delegates and their relevant Turkish counterparts. After the seminar, mission members attended meetings with Turkish Government officials, multipliers, and other business leaders. After Istanbul The mission will visit Moscow 7 - 9 June.
Note : Mission Members
Mission Leader, Mr Fred Lam
Executive Director, Hong Kong Trade Development Council
Deputy Mission Leader, Mr Roy Chung
- Group Managing Director, Techtronic Industries Co Ltd,.
- President of Hong Kong Young Industrialists Council (YIC) which co-organised
Mr Sunny Chai
- Managing Director of Fook Tin Group Holdings Ltd,
- His company specializes in design, manufacturing and global distribution of
scales, health care, medical devices and small electronic appliances.
- Mr Chai is the director of Hong Kong Electrical Appliances Manufacturers
Mr Benjamin Kwok
- Managing Director, Kwonnie Electrical Products Ltd,
- manufacturer of electrical product appliances; some of their customers are
Fortune 500 companies.
- Mr Kwok is the Vice President of Hong Kong Young Industrialists Council
Mr Jacky Cheung
- Chairman & CEO of Shinhint Acoustic Link Holdings Ltd,
- a manufacturer of electro acoustic products for leading consumer electronic
Mr Eddie Lam
- Chief Executive Officer, Onlen Fairyland (HK) Co Ltd,
- With more than 25 years of experiences in shoe making and exporting, the
group has become one of the leading children footwear enterprises in the world.
Mr Felix Chung
- Director, Global Apparel Group Ltd.
- Mr Chung is also the chairman of the Hong Kong Apparel Society, which is
an active textile and garment association in Hong Kong
Mr Bernard Lau
- Managing Director, Pak Hing Loong Co Ltd.,
- an importer and stockist of non-ferrous metal.
- Mr Lau is the Honorary Chairman of the Federation of Hong Kong Machinery
& Metal Industries and Honorary President of the Hong Kong Metal Merchants
Mr Peter Lau
- Group Chairman and Chief Executive of Giordano International Ltd,
- a leading international retailer of men's, women's and children's apparel
- The group's network consists of 1,700 stores and counters in over 30 markets
including the Chinese mainland
Mr Alex Cheong
- Director, Analogue Holdings Ltd.
- The group specialises in building services contracts, water treatment and
manufacturing of elevators, escalators and precision air conditioning equipment.
The company covers worldwide markets including Chinese Mainland, SE Asia,
Europe and N. America.
Mr Anthony Lau
- Chairman & Chief Executive, BALtrans Holdings Ltd,
- a leading freight forwarding and logistics group in Asia Pacific with over
50 offices worldwide.
Mr Joseph Leung
- Chairman & CEO, SIMX Project X & Trade Cooperation Associated Ltd.
- SIMX is a freight forwarding and logistics firm based in Hong Kong.