7 Nov 2005
8,805 buyers visited Hong Kong Optical Fair
Featuring a wide array of optical goods with 577 exhibitors, the fair was held from November 2-4 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
The satisfactory result reconfirms Hong Kong's status as the world's second largest exporter of spectacles, lens and frames.
A detailed breakdown of buyer attendance at the three-day event is as follows:
- Total attendance: 8,805 - up 8.6%
- Hong Kong buyers: 2,905 - up 9.3%
- Buyers from places outside Hong Kong: 5,900 - up 8.3%
- Top 10 visiting countries/ regions (excluding Hong Kong): Chinese mainland,
Taiwan, Japan, Korea, the US, Australia, Singapore, Germany, the Philippines,
- Export growth rates to Hong Kong's major trading partners: : Asia (+8.4%), Europe (+11.2%), North America (+12.1%), Australia and Pacific Islands (+11.3%)
Significantly, buyers from the Chinese mainland increased by 20.5%, demonstrating the rising demand for optical goods in the country.
In the first nine months of 2005, Hong Kong exported HK$697 million worth of optical goods to the Chinese mainland, an increase of 42% over the same period last year.
The next Optical Fair, organised by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council, is scheduled for Nov 7-9, 2006 at the same venue.
For press enquiries, please contact TDC's Corporate Communication Department at 2584 4333.